A Welsh landlord has been prosecuted for failing to licence her property and manage it safely, making it difficult to escape in case of a fire.
Kaneeza Abid, of Newport, pleaded guilty to failing to license a HMO in Alma Street, Newport under the Housing Act and was fined £10,000. Abid also admitted 10 offences of failing to comply with the 2006 Management Regulations and was fined £1,000 for each offence.
She was also ordered to pay council costs of £1,229 and a victim surcharge of £120.
Environmental health officers from Newport City Council inspected the property on 22 January 2015 and found that it needed a licence and that fire escapes were not clear of obstructions and had poor lighting.
This put tenants at risk of severe injury or death had a fire occurred in the property.
Councillor Bob Poole, Newport City Council’s cabinet member for regulatory functions said: “HMOs are licensed and regulated for a reason. This is about safety. Tenants are entitled to live in accommodation that is safe.
"Landlords have that responsibility and the council will not hesitate to take action against those who put tenants at risk.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.