A Yorkshire landlord has been prosecuted after failing to provide gas safety certificates for two rented properties.
Harrogate Magistrates’ Court heard that following a complaint from a tenant, an Improvement Notice was issued to landlord Dean Taylor by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for non-provision of a gas safety certificate for the gas appliances in his property.
Taylor did not comply with that notice and during the investigation another of his properties was found to also not have a gas safety certificate.
Taylor, of Gentian Glade, Harrogate, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 33 (1) (g) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, also Section 36(3) and Section 36(6) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations. He was given 240 hours of community service and instructed to pay full HSE costs of £2,767 by Harrogate Magistrates’ Court.
After the hearing HSE inspector Julian Franklin said: “If you rent property out, you must comply with requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, including the need to have a gas safety certificate. Gas appliances should be regularly checked, as faulty appliances can kill.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.