A Birmingham landlord has been handed a fine of more than £24,000 after being prosecuted for a string of offences.
Salih Mahfood Hassan Mohamed, who owns a house split into bedsits, was charged with multiple offences including a mould and rubbish-blocked exit, failing to ensure that the fire alarm was maintained in good working order, and for not applying for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence and 10 breaches of the HMO Management Regulations, to which he pleaded guilty at Birmingham Magistrates Court.
The court heard how Mohamed, 49, of Newtown Road, Sparkhill, failed to renew his HMO licence when it expired in May 2014 and in September 2015.
West Midlands Fire Service referred the case to the council because they were concerned about the living conditions at the property.
Cllr Peter Griffiths, cabinet member for Housing and Homes, said: “HMO licensing exists because tenants living in this type of accommodation are almost 17 times more likely to be killed in a fire than an adult living in a similar single-occupancy house.
“Mr Mohamed left the country for a period of time but whilst he ensured that a friend continued to collect the rent on his behalf, he failed to keep his tenants safe, leaving them to live in appalling conditions and at considerable risk.
“I welcome the fine imposed by Birmingham Magistrates Court.
“The council has over 1,800 licensed properties. Most landlords are responsible and law abiding, but the council’s HMO Licensing Team will continue to pursue and prosecute those that aren’t.
“We are investing in our work on rogue landlords and will pursue all those who fail to operate within the law.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.