The owner of a house in Whitethorn Way, Oxford, let to tenants as a house in multiple occupation (HMO), has been fined £15,000 for various safety failures.
Andrew Sadler was convicted of failing to obtain a HMO license and five breaches of the HMO management regulations.
Sadler, of Ashmole Place, Oxford, was investigated by Oxford City Council's environmental health officers last year.
They discovered four unrelated tenants were living in his high-risk unlicensed HMO in Whitethorn Way, Oxford.
Officers found the 46-year old had failed to ensure all stair coverings were safely fixed and kept in good repair.
The property also featured a defective smoke alarm and no fire door, as well as other defects.
Sadler was also ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge and £2,304 costs.
Following the hearing, council leader Bob Price said: “This is an appalling case. Fortunately they are relatively rare in Oxford but not unknown.
“We take great care to inspect properties and when we do find such conditions we take legal action against landlords.
“This court case will send out a message to tenants that they will be protected.
“It also sends out a message to landlords that if they breach conditions they will face legal action – after all, the regulations are all clearly documented.”