Two unscrupulous landlords in Reading have been fined almost £9,000 for poor housing standards and a complete disregard for the welfare of their tenants.
Broken toilets and blocked fire escapes were among the catalogue of health and safety hazards uncovered by council officers when they visited the property on Oxford Road last summer.
Some of the other health and safety hazards identified in the inadequately decorated rental property included faulty fire alarms, damaged plug sockets and dangerous windows on the second floor.
Managers of the property Abdullah Yaqubi and Said Kamel Hashemi, both 42, admitted 14 offences at Reading Magistrates Court and were ordered to pay a £8,800 fine.
Councillor Richard Davies, Reading’s lead member for housing, said: “HMOs are an important part of the housing market in Reading but they are subject to certain regulations for the safety and comfort of tenants.
“Most landlords abide by these rules but those who do not and fail to respond to contact by the Council’s officers can expect to face the consequences.
“This is a good result for Reading’s Private Sector Housing and Legal teams and I hope it makes other property managers and landlords who are tempted to flout the rules sit up and take note.”