x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

Landlord fined for letting out ‘dangerous’ property

A buy-to-let landlord has been fined for renting out ‘dangerous and poor’ accommodation after a fire broke out at her property in Saffron Walden, Essex, last year.

Sarah Anne Henson, of Whiteshot Way, pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court to offences relating to matters of fire safety and general disrepair under the Housing Act 2004 and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations 2006.

The case was brought against the landlord by Uttlesford District Council (UDC) following a fire at her property on September 7.

No one was injured in the blaze at the property, which was rented by several tenants, although a cat died.

Henson was fined £286 and ordered to pay costs of £820 to the council.

Roz Millership, assistant director of housing at UDC, commented: “This case highlights the need for all landlords to be aware of their legal duties and responsibilities towards the management of their properties.

“It also sends out a strong message that the council will not tolerate landlords who let dangerous and poor accommodation for residents, and that we will take action when it is appropriate to do so.

“However, it should be pointed out that the council seeks prosecutions of this type only as a last resort.

“We are committed to working with all landlords so that they understand their responsibilities, and we are here to advise and assist them to improve their properties.”

icon

Please login to comment

Zero Deposit Zero Deposit Zero Deposit
sign up