A but-to-let landlord in south east London has been penalised for allowing his elderly tenants to live in a property that was found to be in an “appalling” state with insufficient heating and significant mould.
After ignoring several warnings, Mohammed Nadem Yasin was taken to Bexley Magistrates’ Court by Greenwich Council where he was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £3,053 costs and £100 surcharge.
Environmental health officers found that the rental property in Lakedale Road, Plumstead, had insufficient heating that could not go above 16 degrees.
They found various other issues including broken electric storage heaters, lack of thermal insulation, a non-working smoke alarm, lack of ventilators in the bathroom and kitchen, flammable polystyrene ceiling tiles throughout the home, broken roof tiles and gaps to the balustrade on the stairs and landing.
The landlord pleaded guilty to failure to comply with an improvement notice under Section 30 of the Housing Act 2004.
Cllr Jackie Smith, cabinet member for community safety and environment, said: “This property was in an appalling and potentially dangerous state and the landlord appeared to have a complete disregard for the health and well-being of the elderly couple who paid him rent to live there.
“I hope this case serves as warning that we will not hesitate to take action against landlords who flout the law and rent out sub-standard homes.”