A buy-to-let landlord in Tiptree has been fined for poor property management that left a family in Poor living conditions.
Mohibur Rahman, of Corporation Road, Chelmsford, was ordered to pay £10,323 after being found guilty of two offences in relation to a flat in Bryanita Court, which is located in the Essex village.
Colchester Council’s private sector housing team first became aware of problems when the owners of a business on the floor below complained of water leaking through the ceiling of their premises.
An Abatement Notice was served upon Rahman in respect of the leak, considered to be a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (Part III).
Eventually an investigation was launched and officers inspected the property on 14 June 2017, together with plumbers employed by the council who stopped the worst of the leaks.
During this inspection, six more ‘Category One’ hazards were discovered, which included overcrowded conditions, bad sanitation caused by poor plumbing and hygiene in the kitchen and bathrooms, a lack of fire safety precautions, damp and mould, and a risk of burns from scalding water.
Following a further inspection on 20 July and failure to comply with the orders, the council began legal proceedings resulting in the prosecution.
Rahman, who did not attend the hearing, was ordered to pay a £5,000 fine, £5,152.92 costs and £170 victim surcharge, following the successful prosecution by Colchester Borough Council..
Cllr Tina Bourne, portfolio holder for housing and communities, said: “Poor living conditions can cause immense unhappiness and put lives at risk.
“Despite repeated attempts to engage with the owners of this property, the Prohibition Order intended to protect residents was ignored.
“Colchester Borough Council takes its duty to enforce housing standards very seriously and we always take action where we find that accommodation is not being responsibly managed, so I am pleased with the result of this prosecution.”