By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.


Government releases £400m for cladding upgrades

The government has released the first tranche of an estimated £400m to fund the removal and replacement of unsafe cladding on social sector high rise housing in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower tragedy.

The money will be used to remove and replace unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding systems on social sector high-rise housing in England owned by social landlords.

In total, 12 local authorities and 31 housing associations have been allocated the money they need to cover the cost of removing and replacing unsafe ACM cladding from social, residential buildings they own which are 18 metres or higher.


This funding will enable local authorities and housing associations to get on with the job of making their buildings safe.

Many ex-council homes sold under the Right to Buy scheme, which was introduced in 1979, are now part of the private rented sector – owned by a range of former council tenants, buy-to-let investors and letting firms.

Housing secretary James Brokenshire said: “There is nothing more important than ensuring people are safe in their homes and that is why I am pleased the £400m funding has started to be released.

“We are doing the right thing by residents and fully funding the replacement of unsafe ACM cladding in social housing buildings 18 metres or above.

“In the private sector, I want to see landlords protect leaseholders from these costs. I am pleased that a number have stepped forward to do so, including Barratt Developments, Legal & General, Taylor Wimpey, Mace and Peabody. However, there are some who are not engaging in this process. If they don’t, I have ruled nothing out.”

Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.

Poll: Do you own an ex-local authority property in a high-rise building?


  • icon

    If the Government regulations allowed in safe panels then private landlords should be compensated. If the suppliers fitted panels which were illegal then they should pay. As a backstop, building insurance should pay. To put the cost on already beleaugered landlords is unfair and will lead to even higher rents.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up