x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

Landlord faces action after tenants die from carbon monoxide poisoning

The landlord of a north London property where two men died of a suspected carbon monoxide leak on Sunday faces a likely hefty fine after operating an unlicensed HMO.

The two tenants, aged 35 and 42, were discovered dead at the property in Bacon Lane, Edgware, on Sunday afternoon, due to a possible carbon monoxide leak at the building. 

The occupants of the rented property are thought to have moved in last month.

Five people, including two young boys, were taken to hospital as a precaution, Scotland Yard said.

Harrow Council has confirmed that action will now be taken against the landlord of the property in Edgware.

A council spokesman said: “We will be taking action against the landlord for operating an unlicensed HMO.”

No arrests have been made, although inquiries continue and the Health and Safety Executive has been informed.

  • icon

    The lack of a licence (which would probably have made sure the gas appliance was safe and fitted a CO alarm) may have caused two deaths. The police should surely be looking into whether or not there is evidence for a charge of manslaughter by gross negligence?

  • icon

    What on earth is possible carbon monoxide?

  • icon

    who saids its an hmo?

  • icon

    Several of the newspaper reports about this state the property was occupied by two families which would make it a HMO. That being said, being caught operating an unlicensed HMO probably isn't going to be the landlords main cause of concern here.
    The property owner is reportedly a high flying solicitor though the property was apparently managed by her father, it'll be interesting to see who's found who the HSE and Local Authority end up prosecuting.

icon

Please login to comment

valpal
submit
sign up