An unscrupulous landlord who allowed up to 40 tenants to live in poor conditions in a disused pub in North Wales has been fined more than £15,000.
Hayden Rogers was letting the Old Quay House in Connah's Quay as a multiple occupation house but failed to acquire a HMO licence and so Flintshire Council decided to take legal action.
The tenants were ordered to move out last year after an inspection carried out by the council described the ‘appalling’ living conditions at the property which was deemed unsafe due to a number of faults, including electrical defects, overloaded sockets, missing smoke and heat detectors, while fire escapes were considered inadequate and extinguishers were out of date.
The landlord was convicted of not having a house in multiple occupation (HMO) licence and fined £2,000 after being found guilty in his absence.
Rogers was also found guilty of 11 breaches of the regulations and fined £1,000 for each offence.
With the addition of court costs and costs to Flintshire Council, the total fine amounted to £15,633.
Cllr Chris Bithell, cabinet member for planning and public protection at Flintshire Council, said: “This is another positive result - a successful prosecution of a landlord in the private rented sector who has not complied with the required legal standards.
“It reflects Flintshire council’s commitment to ensuring homes in the private rented sector are in good repair and have all the necessary amenities.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.