Toilet flushing discharged into the rear yard of a property, broken fire alarms and faulty electrics were among the defects found in a rental property in East Cliff, Dover, which led to a landlord being ordered to pay more than £10,000 in fines and costs.
Landlord Fernando Xavier Da Moura Monteiro was found guilty of 22 Housing Act offences at a hearing at Margate Magistrates Court last week.
The licensed house in multiple occupation (HMO) property was inspected by officers from Dover District Council on several occasions over the past couple of years.
The property was found to have a number of defects including broken or non-working fire alarms, a deterioration and breach of fire safety measures, and accumulations of waste including foul waste discharging into the rear yard.
The court ruled that the property was in a poor state of repair and breached several management regulations and licence conditions.
The prosecution was brought by Dover District Council after the landlord ignored repeated warning to improve the property’s condition.
Cllr Pauline Beresford, DDC cabinet member for housing, commented: “We continue to work hard to ensure that private sector residents are living in accommodation that is well maintained, safe and warm.
“We take robust legal action where landlords fail to comply with the regulations and their obligations.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.