A property firm has been fined £3,000 after neglecting a property in Derbyshire.
A & S Milward Property Limited was found guilty of failing to comply with two improvement notices.
Erewash Borough Council prosecuted the company, which was charged with two offences under the Housing Act 2004, after two category one hazards and one category two hazard were identified by council officers at the property in King Street, Ilkeston.
Southern Derbyshire Magistrates Court heard that the first category one hazard concerned the absence of lighting on the stairs leading to flats, as well as a defective handrail.
The category two hazard related to missing hard-wired smoke detection for the flats and common areas of the property, while the electrical supply to the flats did not have adequate fire protection in place.
In addition, there were issues relating to damp and mould throughout the flat on the second floor.
Stephen Milward, on behalf of his company, pleaded not guilty.
However, magistrates found him guilty and ordered him to pay a fine of £1,500, including £500 for the first offence and £1,000 for the second offence, along with a victim surcharge of £100 and the council’s costs of £1,662.62 – a total of £3,262.62.
Cllr Val Clare, lead member for community engagement at Erewash Borough Council, commented: “We are pleased with the outcome of this prosecution and hope that it acts as a reminder to landlords that their properties need to comply with health and safety standards.
“Residents living in rented properties have the right to live in a warm and hazard free home, and should seek advice if they feel that the home is not up to standard.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.