The Welsh Government has set out how its two week ‘fire break’ lockdown will impact the rental industry, including landlords' responsibilities in a Covid-safe manner.
Of importance to landlords:
- those landlords living in England or elsewhere outside of Wales, but with properties inside Wales, will not be able to travel into the country to attend their properties;
- non-essential travel by landlords within Wales will also “have to stop” according to First Minister Mark Drakeford;
- home moves can take place if landlord, tenant and agent have already committed to a date within the lockdown period of late October 23 until state of business on November 9;
- the removals processes, property preparation, handover of keys, surveys and valuations can also take place in line with Covid guidance on working in other people’s homes, but only if the move has been pre-arranged;
- property viewings cannot take place during lockdown (although virtual viewings can of course continue);
- lettings agencies offices are expected to be closed;
- as with the UK-wide spring lockdown, landlords with legal obligations to attend to emergencies within properties can do so but only if ‘Covid-secure’ with tenants in agreement and in a separate part of the premises to a landlord or work-people attending the emergency;
- scheduled events such as routine visits, inspections and so on should be deferred until after lockdown ends.
Drakeford says: “Unless we act the NHS will not be able to look after the increasing number of people who are falling ill due to this deadly virus. This is the shortest we can make it, but will be sharp and deep.
“A fire break period is our best chance of regaining control of the virus and avoiding a longer and much more damaging national lockdown. This is the moment to come together to protect the NHS and to save lives.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.