By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.


Tenants struggling to pay rent urged to ‘seek help and advice’

Tenants who face financial difficulties because of the coronavirus pandemic are being urged not to ignore the problem and talk to, among others, their landlord or letting agent about their situation. 

My Property Box is advising tenants who fear losing their job or face a cut in income not to put their homes at risk.

Ben Quaintrell, the founder and managing director of the Darlington-based letting agent, said he has been contacted by several tenants in recent weeks concerned that the existing coronavirus pandemic may leave them unable to pay their rent.


He commented: “These are worrying times for everyone and the most important thing is that people remain well – so the priority must be food, medicine and ensuring they maintain a safe and comfortable place to live.”


Those contacting the company, which manages properties across the North East and North Yorkshire, have been concerned at the prospect of losing their job, working shorter hours or being placed on the government’s furlough scheme.

“My message is to remain calm and seek help and advice,” he added. “Talk to your lettings agent or landlord rather than just ignoring the problem.

“Support is available for most tenants who experience a change in circumstances that means they will be in a position to continue meeting their housing costs.

“For those who don’t qualify and genuinely can’t pay their rent, they must speak to their landlord immediately. It may be possible to negotiate a longer tenancy, allowing a tenant to pay off any arrears over a longer period.”

People in receipt of universal credit will continue to receive the housing element while those experiencing a change in employment circumstances will also normally qualify for universal credit or employment support.

Those tenants who fall sick or who are self-isolating can also qualify for benefits or statutory sick pay, while those in receipt of housing benefit who lose their job should report it to the council immediately and the benefit will normally be increased.

Meanwhile, tenants who are furloughed will still receive 80%  of their wages, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, for a maximum of three months. 

Quaintrell added: “There is a lot of help available for any tenant that finds themselves in this predicament, so my advice is to keep in contact with your letting agent or private landlord to ensure everyone is able to work together and support each other to avoid any unnecessary stress and hardship.”

Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.

  • icon

    Some will just sweep it under the carpet and adopt the attitude'' can't pay won't pay''-- then we take the attitude '' can't pay we take it away ''

    Mark Wilson

    Andrew, just wondering how long you think a real dispute will take to come to a head? When the world is back to some sort of normality? When the court system will address possession cases, act on them and the bailiff attend to evict? It can't be less than 12 months, would it be reasonable that it could extend into years? There will/could be thousands of cases! What would stop the situation where Landlords would end up not only writing of the debt but paying tenants cash to go?


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up