By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Five Top Tips for landlords for Gas Safety Week

It’s Gas Safety Week and supplier Ideal Heating has produced five top tips for landlords.


1. Check your appliances for warning signs


- If you see yellow, lazy flames on your gas hob, rather than the usual blue ones, your hob needs to be checked immediately. 

- Any staining or excessive soot buildup on or around appliances might also signal problems.

- If your appliance has a pilot light, do you have to relight it? If so you should get your appliance checked.

- Is your appliance performing differently to normal or displaying fault lights or codes? Time for a Gas Safe registered engineer to check it.

- Check when you last had your gas appliance serviced and ensure you regularly have it maintained.


2. Get annual checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer 

- Your gas appliances need a safety check every year - failing to correctly maintain your appliance could lead to serious problems including carbon monoxide poisoning.

- When having your service done, only use Gas Safe Registered engineers. This includes when installing any appliances too. Make sure you insist on seeing their Gas Safe ID card.

- If you are renting, this responsibility falls to your landlord for appliances that are provided by them. Ask for their Gas Safety Record and ask them to ensure gas appliances, fittings and chimneys are safe (in line with the Gas Safety Regulations 1998). If you have your own gas appliances in the rented property it is your responsibility to ensure that they are regularly maintained and serviced.

- Always ensure that your Gas Safe engineer has a copy of the manufacturer’s instructions and services your appliance in accordance with these. Your appliance manufacturer will be able to help if you don’t have a copy.


3. Never block the ventilation around your appliance 

- A lack of ventilation around appliances - whether indoors or outdoors - can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide.

- Ensure any gas appliances have good ventilation and are used in the intended way.

4. Get a carbon monoxide detector and test it regularly 

- Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide (and smoke) detector in your property. Early warnings can save lives.

- It’s also important to be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. The 6 main symptoms to look out for are headaches, dizziness, nausea, tiredness, breathlessness and loss of consciousness. 

- Test your carbon monoxide alarm regularly and check that the alarm is still within the expiry date printed on the alarm.


5. Know how to react if there’s a leak

- If you think there could be a gas leak or carbon monoxide leak in the home, immediately turn off the gas and open windows and doors to ventilate the property. Do not operate any lights or electrical switches. Leave the house and contact the Gas Emergency service and do not re-enter the property until it is safe to do so. For LPG appliances where the leak is indoors, turn off the gas at the manual outlet valve on the tanks or cylinder(s), open windows and doors to ventilate the property, and do not operate any light switches or electrical switches. Contact your gas supplier so they can make the installation safe and call the Fire Brigade on 999 and advise that there is an LPG Cylinder(s) or tank at your property.

- The Gas Emergency Services number is 0800 111 999 – make a note of this and make sure all responsible persons in the property are aware of it.

- If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide, or are experiencing any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning then you need to seek immediate medical assistance.

- You can find all the advice you need by visiting the Gas Safe Register website at www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice. Knowing what to do in an emergency saves lives.

Want to comment on this story? Our focus is on providing a platform for you to share your insights and views and we welcome contributions.
If any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.
Please help us by reporting comments you consider to be unduly offensive so we can review and take action if necessary. Thank you.

  • George Dawes

    Or replace it with electric , it’s the future and if your house is well insulated it’ll save you money in the long run plus no dangerous carbon monoxide to worry about

  • icon

    insufficient supply of electricity

  • George Dawes

    Long term plan is to get us all on electric - then pull the plug

  • icon

    yep, thats why their is a switch in a smart meter.

  • icon

    I think we are all getting soft, when we were growing up we had no insulation or Central Heating, now the house is virtually sealed, we need fresh air to live.


    Ice on the inside of the windows, remember that Michael ?

    Theodor Cable

    I was there too.......
    Until Dad finally bought an elecrtic blanket.....

  • icon

    carbon monoxide is flammable--i was unaware--but it ignites at about 600 degrees celsius

  • icon

    decent homes standards are madness--damp mold rot--houses need ventilation and so do occupants

  • icon

    Yes Andrew, I remember it well and icicles hanging down. I don’t think eiderdowns where the noam that time, a top coat would suffice. The one about the kids playing in the bedroom, Johnny shouts Mom Paddy is pulling the top coat off the bed, good lord she says don’t say that we have visitors coming say eiderdown, ok. The visitors come and Johnny shouts Mom Paddy is pulling the sleeve off the eiderdown.
    We have to keep our sense of humour.

  • icon

    Paul Holmes
    I remember it well. Drawing pictures in the frost on the inside.
    Getting out of bed and putting your feet onto cold lino!
    We didn't have condensation problems though that I remember.

  • George Dawes

    We were poor but we were happy , actually I wasn’t 😂

    Reminds me of the four Yorkshire men sketch


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up