By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Rental sector ahead of the game on carbon monoxide detectors

Landlords appear to be well ahead of the game when it comes to carbon monoxide detectors.

For around six years it’s been compulsory for landlords in England to have a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance, such as a coal fire or wood burning stove. And the government has encouraged landlords to fit them in all rooms with gas appliances too.

The rest of the community is behind, according to new figures from boiler company BOXT. 


Ahead of Gas Safety Week next week, the firm surveyed 2,000 UK residents to reveal how gas safe the public are.

In the study some 12.3 per cent of respondents admitted to never testing their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and another 7.8 per cent didn't even know where their alarms were.

Another 12.7 per cent of respondents said they would have no idea what to do in the instance of a carbon monoxide leak, and only 25 per cent would recognise the main six symptoms of exposure to the fumes. 

Andy Kerr, co-founder of BOXT, says: "Carbon monoxide leaks are easy to miss if you don't have a working detector, as you can't see, smell, or taste the poisonous fumes.

"Every second counts after being exposed to carbon monoxide. So, you must be able to recognise the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and know how to respond in the event of a leak."

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, tiredness, and stomach pain. It can also lead to a loss of consciousness and even death.

Kerr continues: “The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can also be linked to various other illnesses but unlike the flu, it won’t cause a high temperature. Some even confuse it for food poisoning, tiredness, or a hangover, so it’s critical to fit an alarm that will detect a leak. Symptoms can get worse with more exposure to the source of the leak, and lift when the sufferer leaves the area or property.”


If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak has occurred in your home, turn the gas off or leave the room with the solid fuel-burning appliance, open the windows, leave the property, and go outside.

Don't smoke, light a match, or turn any electrical switches on or off. Also, don't use doorbells, mobile phones, or any other electrical switches that could trigger a spark. Carbon monoxide is not only deadly to breathe in but also highly flammable.

Kerr concludes: "While gas and carbon monoxide poisonings are extremely serious, you can minimise the risk by conducting regular maintenance of gas appliances, smoke alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors. These safety checks take little time and effort but can save your life."

Want to comment on this story? Our focus is on providing a platform for you to share your insights and views and we welcome contributions.
If any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.
Please help us by reporting comments you consider to be unduly offensive so we can review and take action if necessary. Thank you.

  • George Dawes

    One good thing about going all electric is getting rid of gas’s many weaknesses including the truly terrible danger of carbon monoxide poisoning , for that alone an all electric future suits me fine !

    Gas ? I hate the stuff


    electricity kills more and costs massively more than gas

    plus uk has no capacity to produce more electricity

  • icon

    How many people die of carbon monoxide poisoning? The last figures I saw was 40 per annum yes terrible if preventable . How many deaths are going to be avoided by all this regulation? According to the health and safety official I spoke to they estimate about two deaths.

    Any costs that can be imposed on the landlord will be I am not saying in this instance it is a bad thing but could the money have been spent better elsewhere? 3000 people die on the roads every year and over 30,000 are seriously injured. Interesting figure 1400 people die on the road due to bald tyres.

    Jim Haliburton
    The HMO daddy .


    1850 road deaths a year--many are pedestrians

    1400 do not die from bald tyres--slicks in dry weather give good grip

  • icon

    schools are getting co2 monitors--i am sure this govt consists entirely of morons

  • icon

    carbon monoxide is not flammable

  • icon

    I think we are doing all we can from outside of things, annual Boiler Service and Certification plus installation of Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Although there might be Carbon from other sources and not anything to do with LL’s as well.
    Worrying figures about other matters which are extremely high sadly.
    I see about 32’000 People die in Ireland each year, now we had Pandemic and thousands passed away, yet the the number of deaths over all are about same, whether it’s because they didn’t get the flue this last 2 years, a Scientist friend told me 60 years ago if you have one you don’t get the other, what ever the truth is.

  • icon

    George gas Boilers is a LL’s biggest nightmare for sure when they break down, any other appliance just replace job done, don’t tell me about insurance schemes I had all them, still takes time to get sorted. Boilers used to be very reliable before technology and never broke down but now we are where we are. I am not singing the praises of electric yet I can see problems with that too.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up