By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Landlords urged to check safety qualifications of gas fitters

The Health and Safety Executive is urging landlords to check the credentials of gas fitters following a case heard recently in Southwark Crown Court in London.

The court heard that Valentin Pauliuc, trading as VP Plumbing & Heating, was hired in February 2019 by HSM Builders Limited, the principal contractor for a domestic renovation in South London, to carry out plumbing and gas work including the installation of a new gas boiler and gas cooker.

However, some of the gas work was later found by a Gas Safe Register inspector to be ‘Immediately Dangerous’, meaning it would be an immediate danger to life or property if connected to a live gas supply, as it was in this case.


A Health and Safety Executive investigation found that Pauliuc was not registered with Gas Safe Register, which is a requirement under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 for people who undertake gas work, and that HSM Builders did not check that he was registered to do the work.

Pauliuc, from Harrow, pleaded guilty to a breach of Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was sentenced to 10 months in custody, suspended for 12 months, and was placed under a curfew and was also ordered to pay £1,644 in compensation to the owners of the property, and £4,747.68 in costs.

HSM Builders Limited, of Enfield, pleaded guilty to a breach of Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The company was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay £4,859 in costs.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Gordon Carson, said: “All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.

“HSE will not hesitate to take enforcement action against people who break the gas safety rules, which are in place to protect the public. 

“We would encourage anyone who is asking for gas work to be done to make sure they check the engineer has the right skills and is registered with Gas Safe Register. Homeowners can ask to see the engineer’s Gas Safe Register identification card, which contains key information.

“By law, businesses should make reasonable efforts to obtain evidence that any person they intend to perform gas installation work, either under contract or on their own behalf, is a member, or employed by a member, of Gas Safe Register.”

Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.

  • icon

    Check them out online it's the easiest way, I prefer the self employed plumber as he has his reputation to protect.


    I agree - avoid the big boys and use a small self employed local reputable tradesman every time. Quite often they're not VAT registered as they let you to buy the parts to stay below the VAT threshold by charging for labour only - so you also don't get ripped off in price of materials.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up