x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button
Written by Emma Lunn

A couple who rented out their property in a “dangerous” condition in Tower Hamlets, East London, have been fined £14,400.

The five-storey terraced house in Bow Road, Bow, occupied by several tenants, did not comply with security, fire and electrical safety laws.

Landlords Samuel Jenyo and his wife Olusola, from Beckton, were summoned with their company, SAB Associates, and found guilty by Thames Magistrates of offences under the Housing Act.

Magistrates heard they failed to carry out “essential security, fire safety and electrical work” which was first brought to their attention in May 2011.

Matters were still not properly dealt with when environment officers called again during a follow-up visit more than a year-and-a-half later, when the couple failed to produce an electrician’s certificate.

Magistrate Fitz Allen-Howard said: “Any diligent landlord should be aware of obvious faults like scorched electrical sockets.”

Jenyo was fined £5,800, his wife £4,300 and SAB Associates £4,300. Total fines and surcharges topped £14,760.

Deputy Mayor Ohid Ahmed said after the hearing: “We welcome the court’s decision to penalise landlords who leave tenants in dangerous conditions.”

Comments

Zero Deposit Zero Deposit Zero Deposit