By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Written by Emma Lunn

The landlord of a house where a man died following a fire has been given a suspended prison sentence.

A fire broke out in December 2011 at the property in Stapleton Road, Bristol, owned by Ashiq Mohammed Sadiq.

The Bristol Post reported that while two people escaped from the flames with burns and smoke inhalation, tenant Jaroslav Bily, 54, died as a result of the injuries he sustained.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service carried out an investigation and it transpired Mr Sadiq had breached the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 by not having completed a fire risk assessment. He had also failed to make sure the premises had been equipped with fire detectors and alarms, and that the exit route had been protected to a suitable degree.

In addition, combustible materials had been stored against unprotected electrical wiring, while there was no self-closing fire door to the kitchen. There was also a lack of fire protection between the ground floor and the accommodation above.

Judge Phillip Wassall suggested it was inconceivable not to fit alarms in such premises, Bristol Crown Court heard.

"This offence is so serious that a custodial sentence is justified,” he said.

Sadiq was sentenced to six months in custody, suspended for two years and ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service. He was also made to pay £7,819 to Avon Fire and Rescue Service.

Station manager Matt Peskett said: "We are satisfied with the outcome of this case and believe the sentence passed down today reflects the severity of the charges.

"Sadly, one of the occupants died as a result of his injuries and other lives were put at risk because of failures to ensure safe accommodation was provided for residents in the event of fire."


  • icon

    I am assuming this was a HMO?

    • 25 February 2014 17:27 PM