x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
STAY CONNECTED!
    
newsletter-button

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

Landlord sees HMO license application rejected due to fire safety concerns

A buy-to-let landlord in Glasgow will be left out of pocket after the renewal of her house in multiple occupation (HMO) licence was rejected following the discovery of a series of fire safety issues.

The defects were discovered during an inspection by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) in October 2018 which found that escape routes were blocked, and furniture that had been left in hallways ‘posed [a] hazard’.

The fire safety concerns left Glasgow City Council with little alternative but to reject the licensing application made by Shazia Shah for her three-bedroom flat in the city that had been occupied by student tenants.

It also transpired that the property no fire alarm nor an extractor fan ‘to reduce the spread of smoke’, while smoke prevention seals were not installed on any of the doors.

According to the Evening Times, as interim visit in January also found that some of the issues ‘were still outstanding’ and had not been rectified.

Shah’s husband, who addressing the licensing committee on the landlord’s behalf, said: “I had an audit carried out on Sunday and they were pleased with the progress.

“There are a few minor issues that still need to be addressed. These include fire safety instructions for tenants, seals along the doors and effective measures to prevent the spread of smoke including the installation of an extractor fan.”

But the committee chairman Alex Wilson said the property was still subjected to dangerous living conditions and that is why the license application was rejected.

icon

Please login to comment

valpal
submit
sign up