By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.


How to get CGT relief when passing on a buy-to-let property to your children

For most people, their properties are their most valuable asset. And for anyone with children, the consequence of not having made provision for estate planning may be devastating. Passing on rental property to loved ones, however, can be a complicated process filled with many potential pitfalls. But by taking appropriate steps to mitigate your inheritance tax (IHT) bill as well as avoiding capital gains tax (CGT), you can optimise the value of your property and protect the future income for your family.

Usually, if you want to transfer a buy to let (BTL) property to your children, CGT liability would apply because HMRC states that the parent received the market value of the property - even if the property was handed down for free. That CGT will be based on current market value, minus purchase price, minus capitalised refurbishment costs.

Currently, the rate of capital gains tax to be paid on BTL properties – after using the £11,700 CGT annual allowance – is 18% for basic rate taxpayers and 28% for higher rate taxpayers.  


Can I transfer property into a trust?

While trusts are generally viewed as the exclusive domain of the well-heeled, ordinary homeowners could also benefit from placing their property into a trust. An individual might wish to gift a buy-to-let property to their child and use a trust to manage the asset until the beneficiary comes of age. The benefit of this action will depend on certain conditions that the settlor specifies, while the settlor may themselves also benefit from the trust.

Reasons for transferring BTL properties into a trust may vary, but usually it’s to reduce income tax for the parent, to reduce the asset value of the parent for IHT purposes, and to provide an income for the adult child. HMRC calculates and imposes tax depending on the status and terms of the trust, so it’s important to weigh up all the factors carefully.

Tax relief is possible by leveraging Section 260 of the TCGA legislation. However, to get the most out of it, wait at least three months before you transfer an asset within a trust to your child. This timing ensures that CGT holdover relief is obtainable.

Bear in mind though that – for any avoidance strategy to work – all mortgages for the property must be settled in full and should remain unencumbered upon transfer. This is mainly because mortgage companies are highly unlikely to support this form of tax avoidance. Such a strategy is also only possible when the asset is transferred to an adult child, and not one that is underage.

Exit charges are another factor to consider when transferring the asset from the trust. This is another form of tax on top of the standard 20%. It’s worth bearing in mind that the value of the asset is the net asset value of the property.

Four steps to an avoidance strategy

To take advantage of a trust as a tax relief vehicle, let’s recap the four steps to follow:

Identify a property that has a value below the IHT threshold. i.e. less than £325,000. You can use a property with a higher value, but it will be subject to 20% IHT.

Transfer the property into a trust and determine the IHT liability.

Wait a minimum of three months after setting up the trust then transfer the property to an adult child. Calculate the exit charge.

Complete the IHT100 form and submit it within 12 months of the transfer.

Taking everything into account, avoiding CGT and IHT is entirely possible when transferring a BTL property to an adult child. HMRC can even tell you how to set up a trust. Bear in mind though, that tax calculations can get extremely complex, and we therefore strongly suggest you consult a property tax specialist or finance planner from the outset.

Simon Misiewicz is a property tax specialist at Optimise Accountants

Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.

  • icon

    Does this disqualify the adult child from the Lifetime ISA benefit (ie the government 25% top up for first time buyers)?

    Simon Misiewicz

    If you pass an asset from a parent to a child this would mean that they would have two properties. I would suggest it is an either-or approach to getting kids onto the property ladder. Especially those that go to university and you buy them a property that they rent out to their fellow uni friends. A lot of people that go to university tend to stay in that local area so could be an ongoing investments

  • icon
    • 05 September 2019 08:36 AM

    What is the point of doing all this as Labour intend to force tenanted properties to be sold to tenants!!?


    Paul I cannot see it happening, it's all a lot of hot air from the loony left

  • icon
    • 13 September 2019 10:18 AM

    I'm not so sure.
    To date no looney left Labour Party has ever achieved power.
    There was the longest suicide note in history with the Labour Manifesto of Michael Foot.
    GR see bashing LL as great news which just shows you how naive these supposedly intelligent people are.

    But we now have supposedly intelligent GR voting Labour.
    This has never really occurred in history.
    Last GE only 2500 votes stopped Labour winning.
    It really is a very real possibility that Labour will win the GE.
    When you look at the past most recent Labour leaders there has been very little difference between the two major parties.
    But the bonkers policies this radical Labour Party are proposing could easily come to pass.
    Even if they don't win this GE they might the next one.
    It is simply impossible to be a LL when such threats could occur every 5 years.
    I was planning to be out of the PRS before the next GE
    I was working on a 3 year timescale NOT 3 months!!!!


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up