A landlord has been sentenced for failing to maintain gas appliances at a rental property in accordance with the law.
Swansea magistrates’ court heard that in 2017 inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive and Gas Safe Register inspected a property in the city.
They found a gas cooker which was not to current standards, a boiler which was found to be a risk which may constitute a danger to life, and installation pipework considered to be immediately dangerous, exposing the tenant and others to potentially fatal exposure to carbon monoxide.
An HSE investigation found that the landlord, Tariq Shehadeh, failed to have the gas appliances regularly inspected or maintained, and failed to provide a Landlord Gas Safety Record, all of which are legal requirements.
Shehadeh - who lives in the Qatari capital, Doha - later complied with Improvement Notices which required he take action to deal with these issues.
He pleaded guilty to breaching Regulations 28, 36(2), 36(3) and 36(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 and has been given a 12-month custodial sentence, suspended for two years.
He’s also been ordered to pay the full costs of £14,883.30.
HSE inspector Anne Marie Orrells says: “Landlords must ensure gas appliances at their tenanted properties are checked by a Gas Safe Register engineer at least every 12 months and are maintained in a safe condition. HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.