By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards


Landlord in court for failing to produce gas safety certificate

Hastings council has taken a landlord to court for failing to obtain a gas safety certificate, which is required by law for rented properties. 

It is not naming the landlord but the council says the court case resulted in him being fined £726.

“Due to the health and safety concerns gas can pose to the occupiers of a property, it is essential gas is checked regularly by a qualified engineer” says the council.


It adds: “Failure to meet these safety requirements and ensure rented accommodation is at a good standard will result in the council's housing team taking appropriate action.”

And a spokesperson for the authority states: "Ensuring rented accommodation across the borough is fit for purpose and safe is a priority for our council. 



“The vast majority of landlords provide exceptional accommodation and go above and beyond to make the necessary improvements to their properties.

"Sadly, in this case this landlord did not comply with the law and failed to work with the council. To ensure the tenant's safety the council took the necessary action. This saw the landlord taken to court where they were issued with a fine following a guilty plea."

Want to comment on this story? Our focus is on providing a platform for you to share your insights and views and we welcome contributions.
If any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.
Please help us by reporting comments you consider to be unduly offensive so we can review and take action if necessary. Thank you.


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up