x
By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.
Graham Awards

TODAY'S OTHER NEWS

Five figure fine for HMO landlord failing on health and safety

A landlord who failed to provide a fire detection and alarm system in an HMO has been fined a total of £13,600.

Penalties were imposed by Brighton and Hove council after the landlord - which the council has not named - failed to meet three conditions of the HMO licence for the property in central Brighton.

The fine is made up of £8,000 for failure to provide a fire detection and alarm system; £4,000 for failure to construct a 30 minute fire resistant enclosure around electrical intake equipment; and £1,600 for failure to provide a means of ventilation to the kitchen by installing a mechanical extractor fan.

Advertisement

 

Councillor David Gibson, co-chair of the council’s housing committee, says: “Our priority is to raise standards in more privately rented homes in the city and make sure that tenants in the sector can live in safe, healthy and well-managed homes.

“When landlords do not engage to resolve problems, we will issue fines.

“This landlord has put residents at risk by failing to maintain proper safety standards. Where landlords fail their responsibilities to their tenants, we will not hesitate to take action.”

Want to comment on this story? If so...if any post is considered to victimise, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on any basis, then the post may be deleted and the individual immediately banned from posting in future.

  • icon

    Stopped naming names ? I wonder why ?

    icon

    Friends or relatives in high places?

    If we're given the full information in black and white it avoids speculation on shades of grey - or brown or yellow - or tartan even!

     
  • icon

    What is the harm apart from breaking the conditions of the license? fire is not a risk in the average HMOs on any rational risk assessment basis. A single let Landlord would not be fined for not having mechanical extraction in the kitchen yet a family are far more likely to do cooking than HMO tenants so need extraction to avoid the buildup of condensation. It is all pointless. They say about 30,000 people die through lack of heating in the winter, thousands are killed and injured on the roads, sepsis, suicide, domestic and gang related violence. When will we have a rational risk assessment and concentrate on what causes harm instead of picking on HMO landlords?

    Jim Haliburton
    The HMO Daddy

  • icon

    Jim
    A staggering number of people disappear in this country every year, never to be found again.

    icon

    A bit like China or Russia then!

     
    icon

    We seem to be going the same way as China and Russia Paul

     
icon

Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up